Why is Football So Popular in Colombia?

I cannot give a definite answer to this question but I can make an attempt and explain what my theory is. I believe that the sport is so popular in Colombia because it is so popular in the other South American countries. Football is basically life in South America and one of the main reasons behind this is that football is such an affordable sport to play. In sports such as baseball and hockey one needs to pay for equipment such as bats and hockey sticks that can be pretty expensive. To play football all one needs is a ball and that’s it. You don’t even need shoes to play! I believe that this and the fact that every other South American country is football crazy are the reasons that football is so popular in Colombia. All of the South American countries communicate with each other when we play against each other. When one country wins against another, the fans from the country that won will almost always declare that their country is better just because of a football match. This may sound crazy but we are very happy and we find it very fun to be a little over competitive when it comes to football. We also always cheer for our fellow South American brothers and sisters when they face teams from other continents. We do support each other a lot.